Zavrč is located in the northeast part of Slovenia, more precisely in the eastern part of Haloze, bordering Croatia. Old Latin and German manuscripts mention Zavrč as a parish already in 1430; it was called Saurig or Sauritsch. In Zavrč stone tools and Roman coins have been found; after all, the Roman road led through that place. The area is known for excellent its winegrowers and since Celtic times it has been dedicated to wine growing, which is one of the perspective sources of income also for the present inhabitants.
The manor from the beginning of the 17th century standing on the rising, where the seat of the court and the political district was until 1850, is of historical importance. In its immediate vicinity is the church of St. Nicholas (sv. Miklavž), protector of boatmen and raftsmen. On the hill above the manor stands the Church of the Virgin Mary (Cerkev Device Marije), which is visited by many people each year on the 15th of August, on St. Mary’s Day, as it is a renowned pilgrimage trail.
The column like sign from the time of the Turkish invasions draws special attention to Turški Vrh as it supposedly marks the Turkish grandmother’s grave.
Municipal flag of Zavrč
The coat of arms and flag of Zavrč are prescribed by Decision Odlok o grbu in zastavi Občine Zavrč, adopted 27 September 1997 and published in the official Slovene gazette Uradni list Republike Slovenije, 1, 9 January 1998, pp. 93-4, signed 12 December 1997, with effect on 9 January 1998.
The symbols were designed by Valt Jurečič of Heraldika d.o.o. and Heraldica Slovenica, who kindly provided drawings from which the images shown on this page were made.
The flag is rectangular, in proportions 2:5, made of a green square at hoist and yellow-green-yellow stripes in the rest of the flag. In the green square there is the wine press from the coat of arms.
Coat of arms of Zavrč
Coat of arms of Zavrč – Image by Željko Heimer, 20 October 2002
The coat of arms of Zavrč is described in Article 8 of the Decision and blazoned as “Azure a castle argent roofed gules issuant from a mount vert, in base a wine press or”.
The rest of the Article describes the coat of arms in more details. The wine press is used for pressing the ripe grapes in wine production. It is obvious that the wine industry has strong roots in the area.
Željko Heimer, 24 June 2006